How To Care For Dry Skin
Dry skin has a low level of sebum and can be prone to sensitivity. The skin has a parched look caused by its inability to retain moisture. It usually feels tight and uncomfortable after washing unless some type of moisturizer or skin cream is applied. Chapping and cracking are signs of extremely dry, dehydrated skin.
Dryness is exacerbated by wind, extreme temperatures and air conditioning all of which cause the skin to flake, chap, and feel tight. It can look dull, especially on the cheeks and around the eyes and may have tiny expression lines on these spots and at the corners of the mouth.
Causes of Dry Skin
- Oil glands do not supply enough lubrication
- Skin gets exposed to the elements (especially in winter)
- Genetic condition
- Poor diet, including nutritional deficiencies of vitamins A & B
- Environmental factors (exposure to sun, wind, cold, chemicals, cosmetics, or bathing with harsh soaps)
- Skin conditions (dermatitis / eczema / psoriasis / seborrhea)
- Medical reasons/conditions, such as underactive thyroid, diabetes, certain drugs (including diuretics, antispasmodics, and antihistamines)
Caring For Dry Skin
- Avoid the use of tap water when cleansing dry skin because the deposits are too drying and never, never, never use hot water
- Don’t use a washcloth due to its rough texture. In the morning, mist mineral water on your skin and lightly pat dry
Dry skin needs thorough but gentle cleansing, regular stimulation with massage and generous quantities of oil and moisture. Never cleanse with commercial soap and water as it will strip the natural oils from your skin. Use non-detergent, neutral-pH products to cleanse your skin and double-cleanse with a cream, leaving a thin trace of it on the skin.
Follow a bath or shower with a mild application of baby oil. Massage your face with a generous portion of homemade nourishing cream every night before bed.
Easy To Make Skincare Recipes
Morning Skin Cleanser/Rejuvenator
Every morning, 15 minutes before your bath or shower, mix the following ingredients and apply to your skin:
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Teaspoon Orange Juice
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- A few drops of Rose water and Lime Juice
Beauty Masque For Dry Skin
Mix the following ingredients thoroughly and use as a masque once a week:
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1/2 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- A few drops of Rose Water
Once a week, take a milk bath. It will nourish and smooth your skin. Warm your bath water, add the following ingredients and enjoy!
- 250 grams of powdered milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of almond oil
- A few drops of your favorite perfume
- Eat a balanced diet that includes vegetables, fruits, grains, seeds, and nuts
- Eat quality protein from vegetable sources and increase your intake of raw foods
- Eat foods such as garlic, onions, eggs, and asparagus as they are high in sulfur, which helps keep skin smooth
- Avoid fried foods, animal fats, and heat-processed vegetable oils. Use cold-pressed oils only
- Avoid soft drinks, sugar, chocolate, potato chips, other junk foods, alcohol, and caffeine